18 July 2005

4H: Hazy, hot, humid & Harry

Every summer in New York feels like it's completely different from the one that preceded it. Last year was the coldest summer ever; the year before the rainiest. We like to attach a superlative to things in NYC, so I will declare the summer of 2005 the swampiest ever.

It was too awful to do anything outside yesterday, but fortunately, I'd bought the new Harry Potter on Saturday, so could happily spend the entire day in the cooler and more exciting world of Hogwarts and the fight against the ultimate evil. I won't say anything about what happens, for those of you who are planning to read it, but there are some obvious, but nevertheless satisfying parallels between what is happening in Harry's world, and the current state U.S. foreign policy.

But back to the weather. One of my favorite movies about New York is Taxi Driver. Robert DeNiro's Travis Bickle hopes that "someday a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets." We could use one of those rains right now. Travis meant the scum of humanity, of course; I'm really talking about the dog piss.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gretel said...

Hi Ellen - I'm really pleased to have found this blog - we are New York worshippers and and will watch any film with the Big Apple in it! Now I can come here to get my little bit of 'real' New York!

Gretel :)

10:19 AM  
Blogger Excellent Walker said...

I'm an English-countryside worshipper! This will be my first year not to take a trip to London in many years. Although I suppose there's still time to plan one. Money, on the other hand...

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always think of Travis Bickle's line, too! Especially when it gets really disgusting here, as it has been for the past week. And then it storms and I think good, at least some of the filth is being washed away. (into our groundwater, rivers, etc.)

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops, didn't mean not to have my name on my comment above.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home