07 July 2005

Things go Boom

I walked to work today, which I normally do, but after what happened in London a few hours ago, I was extra eager to avoid the public transportation system. Bombs went off in the Tube at King's Cross, and a bus was also blown up, presumably by an Islamic Fundamentalist group. As of now, ten people are dead and at least 200 injured, but it seems likely those numbers will rise.

I walk everywhere because I like to, but there is a small part of me that knows it's only a matter of time before the NYC system is attacked. Even before 9/11 I couldn't understand why it hadn't been already. If people are willing to die in the cause of killing Americans and Europeans, then why not set off small bombs in the subway, and frequently?

Of course I will take the subway again, I will have to. My life encompasses too wide an area not to. But I don't understand how we are supposed to just live from day to day, knowing that the attacks are going to keep coming. But I can't think about that right now. I have to go do something really important... take minutes at the bi-monthly management meeting.

UPDATE: I have to say, for all my nervous nellying above, this is an excellent response.

1 Comments:

Blogger Francesca said...

I agree, this is an excellent response, and thank you for sharing it with me.

If the British are good at anything (and they are good at lots of things) they are good at crises. They rise to the occasion beautifully and I admire their cool cultural response to this sort of crap. Much better to stick two fingers up at the terrorist bullies and say, we couldn't give two shits about you. Much better than depriving an entire nation of its civil liberties in the name of homeland security and far far better than invading a country.

Courage to us all and huge kudos to the British who are, as always, showing great grace under fire.

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home