06 July 2005

Aren't they hideous?

These are my walking shoes. I got them in April, and have worn them nearly every day since. They go with nothing, except jeans. Fortunately, I can wear jeans to work, but who wants to do that in the summer? I'm considering becoming one of those people who carries their "office shoes" with them to work in a little bag, but I haven't been able to make myself do it yet.

These shoes cost $234, plus tax, and they're funny looking for a reason. The brand is "Masai Barefoot Technology," and they purport to take advantage of the more natural way of walking demonstrated by the Masai people of east Africa. That is, walking on a soft, uneven surface, that reduces shock and uses our muscles better.

It sounds like a load of bollocks, and it may well be, but they are the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever worn, so despite my desire to be pulled together and stylish all the time, I'm going to keep wearing them every day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Francesca said...

But it's not the cost of the shoes, it's the cost per wearing... I have been tempted by some of this negative technology whatchamacallit -- and it sounds worth it. Good walking.

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently saw a woman standing on 14th street looking in a store window,and I noticed she was gently rocking forward and backward, but she didn't seem to notice she was rocking, which made me formulate a hypothesis, and I looked down at her shoes, and by god, they were Masai walking shoes!

Do you rock in yours, Ellen?

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home