07 August 2005

Sunday afternoon


I have to have a destination in mind when I go for a walk. Today it was the Conran Shop, under the 59th Street Bridge on First Avenue. It's a very good thing I'm not rich, because if I were, I'd be exactly like Edina Monsoon on Absolutely Fabulous, shouting at my assistant on the cell phone at the same time I told a shop clerk, "One of those, and one of those, and I'd better take the whole range of bed linens and sake cups as well."


In reality, I go to Conrans only for inspiration -- I have a very nice dresser my father made me that's a knock-off of one that cost $1300 there -- and the occasional cereal bowl or juice glass. But if I had the money, I'd probably buy all sorts of inappropriate things, like this yellow plastic couch. You might not be able to tell, but the orange blanket flung over it has holes cut out of it, like swiss cheese. It cost $395, and boy do I want it. Note to self: never become rich.

More from my 4 or so mile walk when I recover a bit.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Conran's--it's my "Breakfast at Tiffany's_--happy to know I'm not the only one who goes there (it's always empty--like the old Conran's in the Citicorp building. Like some kind of folly. Who can afford--or find space--for those huge swervy pieces==the $2000 slab of wood table, the $3000 Ottoman? Who cares. I go there to be inspired.

PS: the beautifully designed lights are a bargain (relative to going out to IKEA and getting a shabby knock-off, at least).

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home