02 June 2006

It's not her fault, I guess

Two friends from work were going to an art opening in Tribeca last night and invited me along. When I got there, though, it turned out that both of them were meeting their sort-of girlfriends, and while yes, being the fifth wheel is usually tremendous amounts of fun, the Gigantic Art Space turned out to be a narrow and ridiculously overcrowded room, and shouting at two couples who really wanted to be talking to each other wasn't what I thought I was going to be doing with my evening. Some of the art was pretty, but mostly of the sort that makes you say "I could do that," and even if you couldn't, that sort of show doesn't transcend an otherwise unwelcoming experience. I had to flee, rudely not even saying goodbye to my two friends. Sometimes you just need to get out, you know?

It was light enough to walk part of the way home, through Chinatown and Soho on Broadway. It was at Spring Street that a group of girls, with their white jeans and tank tops and early tans came towards me. I recognized one of them. Was she an actress? Maybe the ex-girlfriend of someone from work? Just as we passed each other, it came to me: it was the smarter of the two Bush twins, the one who went to Yale. I think that's Jenna.

I am not the kind of person who approaches famous people on the street, but it did briefly occur to me that another person might have been tempted to yell at the backs of retreating gang. Something about how can you walk down Broadway laughing with your friends while your father's war in Iraq is killing and maiming people your own age every day? While oil companies are being given tax deductions with my money, at the same time that they are making record profits, because of your father's energy policy? While people in the Gulf Coast are still living in trailers and we've got maybe ten years before scientists reckon we will have reached the point of no return on global warming? How can you girl???

But then, I'm not that kind of person, and she's got a pretty substantial secret service team protecting her.

1 Comments:

Blogger Francesca said...

I feel like this about Mary Cheney. WHAT WHAT WHAT is that woman thinking?

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home