15 April 2006

The new place

Some pictures of my new apartment, as it looks now. The outlines on the floors are not noting crime-scene areas of interest; I'm figuring out where my furniture will go.

Here's the part where all of you who don't live in Manhattan say: what? how could anyone live in such a small place?







While I would love to have more space, I am really enjoying the challenge of figuring out how best to use every inch. As my friend Todd pointed out, middle class people the world over live like this, and having to be super-efficient in my design is making feel very Swedish, or possibly Italian.

My friends Ruby and Anne came over yesterday, one after the other. Ruby brought me daffodils and a green pitcher to put them in. Anne and I sat on the floor and drank red wine. Both of those things made me feel very much at home.

Next, to paint.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice kitchen and bath tiles.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Gretel said...

Your kitchen is HUUUGGGEEEEE!!!! (Compared to ours, which is about the size of that little side passage pictured above the bathroom.)

When we watch dvds, we always think how spacious even the most downdown of American apartments are, compared to over here.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Francesca said...

It's beautiful. Just beautiful. And it looks like it might get some good natural light! Hooray! And daffodils are my favorite. They make any place sunny.

1:24 PM  
Blogger FRITZ said...

Actually, I'm in love with your new pad. I love teeny spaces and the imagination it takes to make them 'just so'. The fixtures and the hardwood flooring are absolutely divine.

And yes, we in America love space! But if we look to our European counterparts, they have space, elegance, and a touch of moderninity in their wee places.

My idea? IKEA! But then, that's my small addiction...

Congrats on snagging such a nice pad in Manhattan. I've heard it's rather difficult.

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home