30 March 2006

Do I really want to do this: Of course I do!

I'M IN!!

The board was, as I'd hoped, exactly the sort of nice, smart, nebbishy people you'd want handling the business of your building. The "boardroom" that the broker told me to ask the doorman to direct me to turned out to be the dingy basement office of the super. One of the security monitors was making a high-pitched beeping sound the entire time I was there; it was broken but no one could figure out how to turn it off.

Two of the board members weren't there; 6:30 was just too early for them to get home from work. The remaining four -- two 50ish men and two 45ish women with curly hair (a good decision, I thought, not to have straightened my hair for the occasion) -- asked me how long I'd lived in New York, what I did for a living, whether I thought I'd stay at my job for a while -- but I got the sense that they were just asking me these questions for the sake of asking me something.

After about 10 minutes of this interrogation, one of them asked the rest if they had any more questions, and they all said, "I'm fine. Are you fine? I'm fine too." One of the women said, "we should probably let the managing agent make this all official, but unofficially, we hope you'll be very happy here." The other woman pulled out her Blackberry and emailed the managing agent's office on the spot.

And those enormous packets of financial and personal information it took me weeks to assemble? They all gave me their copy back so I could shred it.

Now I just have to worry about what color to paint the kitchen (and whether the money I forgot to transfer from my savings to my checking account will be there in time for my closing, but I'm choosing to be optimistic about that).

9 Comments:

Blogger Francesca said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! When's the party? Can I come? What do you want for a housewarming present? Shall I surprise you? Yay! Yay!

12:36 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Hi Excellent Walker,
My name is Carol and I am the conductor of the Friends of the Friendless Marching Band. I choose a friendless site to feature every Friendly Friday.
You have been nominated for the featured site this week.
Being nominated as a friendless site only means that someone thinks your blog
doesn’t get enough comments and wants you singled out to get more attention.
I hope you will come play along.

It is interesting to glimpse of New York life. Enjoy your new place!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Bad Alice said...

Hi, I found you through the FFMB. I often miss New York, but I am glad I never had to go through the co-op thing. It sounds harder than buying a house. Congratulations and happy decorating.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Oldsoul_NotQuite said...

Mazel-tov!!

11:07 AM  
Blogger nancy said...

FFMB stopping by...I went to NYC once, for a weekend 3 years ago. I simply cannot wait to get back.

Hello from Canada!

12:18 PM  
Blogger -tnchick- said...

Congratulations!

I want to paint my kitchen, too...

9:12 PM  
Blogger Gretel said...

See, you are a perfectly respectable and acceptable member of the Human Race, after all! I'm so pleased. It's not fun having housing issues.

4:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yipeee!

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What exactly is the FFMB?

Congratulations, besides!

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home