06 December 2007

The Price of Feminism

I am getting married in February, but not changing my name. I wouldn't have thought that was a controversial decision in this day and age, but a couple of relatives have been surprised.

But that's nothing compared to my surprise when my fiance told me that, when he called Verizon to have them put my name on the account (in case, you know, someone calls information trying to find me), they told him that they are charging us $2.50 a month for this "service". If we had the same last name, no charge.

Are you kidding me?

I'm sure they have some super-acceptable rationale for this numskullery, having to do with the extra millisecond or two it might take their computer to parse the two names when someone calls just looking for one of us.

But really, isn't it time for the Verizon to accept that more and more households have different names these days and their system needs to keep up? My mother can manage this, but the phone company can't? Oh wait, they're a monopoly.* They don't need to do anything.

*Yes, Ma Bell was broken up 25 years ago, but if you can only get local phone service from one company, that's pretty much a monopoly. And don't talk to me about cable phone.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wait until you have to deal with those that service your credit cards, insurance, etc. "Adaptable" will not be a word that springs to mind, but others certainly will.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Francesca said...

That's super duper crazy -- and hasn't happened so far to me and Ed (although it's possible I haven't bothered putting his name into the phone book, either. Should probably check on that).

On the other hand, at least I haven't had to get a new passport, drivers' license and all that folderol. AND I get the satisfaction of knowing that yes, people are surprised that I didn't take his name and yes, I come out at night and BITE such people and turn them into feminists. Eek! Beware!

OK it's not that bad, even here, but still. I think people should be surprised that women change their name, not the other way around.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Congratulations on your marriage! (I de-lurk to say so...)

People are still surprised that I do not have my husband's name. But a name is but a word. To quote the Edith Wharton poem from Francesca's post (which I think alludes to you and yours):

"This perfect love can find no words to say."

Having my husband's name would not make our bond any more or any less. It is what it is.

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home