03 October 2007

Two Things I Want To Know About Britney Spears

I'd like to be able to say that I haven't the slightest idea of what's going on with Britney these days, but that would be a lie. I know about the head shaving. I know about the flashing of the unmentionables. I know that she lost custody of her kids to her ex-husband. The "news" about the Britney car wreck is everywhere, and it's hard to look away.

But here's what I don't get. All the media converage has been: Oh, she's so crazy! She's out of control! Just like Lindsay! And Paris! Girls gone wild! Doesn't she care about her children at all???

But there are two things that are never mentioned. The first things is this: At 25, Britney is around the age that, if she were going to have a giant mental disorder, it would appear. Schizophrenia anyone? Manic-depression? She's cut herself off from her family. She's self-medicating. She's acting completely irrational, paranoid, delusional (her performance on the MTV awards was proof of that last). I think she's not "crazy," but actually mentally ill.

Which leads to the second thing I don't hear anyone talking about. Isn't anyone worried that she might kill herself? Especially after her children have been taken from her, possibly her last tenuous tie to real life, if I were her parents or anyone who actually knew her, as opposed to all of us who just read about her in the tabloids every day, I'd be keeping a close eye on her.

God help me, I feel sorry for her. Plus, the entertainment shows have just about wrung out all they can out of Anna Nicole. If Britney commits suicide, they'll be feeding off her for the next five years. And I'll probably have to watch it.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like watching the celebs tailspin as well, and I cheer whenever one of them hits the ground with an especially satisfying splat...but every so often one of them betrays the fact that they're actually people - confused, bewildered, people - and it makes me feel icky. Britney is Soylent Green.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home