13 December 2006

Quick, let me get a pen

It constantly amazes me what people will talk about on their cell phones, in the middle of the street.

This morning, walking west on 35th Street, I was in front of a man ordering breakfast to be delivered to his office -- "and put bacon on that; and a Red Bull" -- and just as he was about to hang up, he remembered, "oh, I wanted to put that on my credit card," and proceeded to read out its numbers and expiration date. And not in what one might consider an appropriate voice for such a transaction, if there were such a thing.

When he'd finished, he admonished the person taking his order to "scratch that out as soon as it goes through," so no one could steal his credit card number. No one except me, that is.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess you must look really trustworthy?!? Crazy people!!

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt that ;) For most people, a string of 16 numbers is its own security. Who could possibly remember that many numbers? That's as long as a phone number and a birthday put together!

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who could possibly remember that many numbers?

My ex and rain man

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home