09 September 2005

The trouble with my life, right now

I have not done anything remotely interesting this week to write about. I haven't seen, heard or read anything interesting I can report on, either. The main theme of my blog is walking, and my adventures walking in New York City, with incursions into the rest of my life, but I've been too angry about my job this week to do anything other than go straight home after work and mope.

And I can't even tell you about that, the anger-inducing work, because people keep getting fired for blogging about their jobs, whether they say bad things about them or not.

This is the difference between me and people who write about, say, their children. The children can't fire you. They can only stumble across archived versions of your site once they are old enough to have unfettered internet access, then spend several years in therapy asking why? why? But since there's a chance that won't happen until they are old enough to pay for their own therapy, you don't need to worry about it right now.

I, on the other hand, need to continue to pay my rent. So I promise, really and truly, that between the family descending on my apartment tomorrow (my nephew Matthew has been begging for a trip to the city for months), and whatever 9/11 remembrance I do on Sunday, I will take a long walk this weekend, and notice something. And tell you about it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Francesca said...

You know, that whole getting fired for blogging thing is really odd. I sort of understand that your work might not like you taking potshots at them or revealing confidential information -- but getting fired just for talking about it? Why does freedom of expression not apply to personal discourse? I'll tell you why (her rant now getting firmly underway) -- it's because the real government of this country is capitalist pighood but they're not bound by any social or human niceties like rights or laws so they can do whatever they damn well please include making you wear silly hats, pee into cups, gag yourself and eat donuts they cunningly leave lying around on tables in the common room.

I feel for how much you hate your job. I'm sorry. Let's work on alternatives including becoming world famous photographers, chocolate tasters and social commentators.

I sometimes wish I could be fired. But if I could be fired, I might be fired just when I am most hoping no one will fire me and so maybe it's a good thing they're all stuck with me.

5:14 PM  
Blogger WCTs said...

Good luck with the job. I hope it gets better.

I have a special request <: -) I was in NYC for The Gates and loved Central Park. Would you please take a stroll to the park and take some pics.

Many thanks! Hope you have fun with your guests!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Gretel said...

I love reading your blog, whether you've been walking or not. And I can empathise about hating the job...but don't feel down about the blog, it's fun and interesting. :)

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home