16 March 2007

Make Up Your Mind Already

I am not one of those people who, when the temperature hits 50 degrees, breaks out the flip flops and tank tops. There were plenty of those people on the streets last weekend, though, when it really did seem that we had left February's frigidity behind and sprung forward, with the clocks, into Spring.

I don't need to pretend it's Summer. I was just happy to walk around all day without a hat and gloves. I don't ask much.

And yet, here we are, enduring yet another few days of "wintry mix". Another few days of hat hair and damp feet; red noses, lumpy coats, and grumpiness; gray slush at every corner.

The hardest part for me is the indecision, the hesitation. Be Winter if you have to; but then don't tease us into thinking it's going to be Spring.

Last night, I took the bus home from work. It came within a minute of my hitting the bus stop, the bus wasn't crowded and Tenth Avenue was clear enough that it didn't get stuck in traffic. If you're a bus-taker, you know what that means. Not a speedy arrival home, no. It means the bus driver goes 5 m.p.h. and rests a full minute at every stop, trying not to get ahead of schedule.

Stuck in traffic, I can take. This is Manhattan; we have traffic. Speeding through yellow lights trying not to fall too far behind, no problem. But this wishy-washy, sightseeing-tour, pretending-anyone-thinks-you-keep-to-the-
schedule-anyway-not-taking-advantage-of-an-empty-street-for-a-change-like any-normal-New-Yorker stuff? It kills me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Francesca said...

"The hardest part for me is the indecision, the hesitation. Be Winter if you have to; but then don't tease us into thinking it's going to be Spring."

me too. Think it has something to do with transitions (which I am not good at). Although i'm also not good at two inches of solid ICE either.

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home